What is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP)?
An Exercise Physiologist is an allied health professional who specialises in exercise prescription and rehabilitation using scientific evidence-based approaches. An Exercise Physiologist provides expert exercise advice and lifestyle strategies to manage chronic illness, rehabilitate chronic pain and injuries, enhance weight loss, and to improve fitness and general well-being.
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEP’s) hold a four-year university degree and specialise in the delivery of exercise for the prevention and management of chronic diseases and injuries. These include support with conditions such as:
- cardiovascular disease
- high blood pressure and cholesterol
- mental health problems
- pulmonary disease and more
Physiotherapist work together with Exercise Physiologists to help rehabilitate your chronic pain or injury, while also improving your strength and fitness. These injuries and conditions can include:
- Lower back and neck pain
- Shoulder pain and rotator cuff injuries
- Hip and sacroiliac pain
- Knee pain
- Conditions due to poor posture and faulty muscle activation
- Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis
- Previous orthopaedic surgery