What is Diabetes Management?
Our diabetes management program is a lifestyle modification program facilitated by our Accredited Exercise Physiology team that supports participants to develop lifelong healthy eating and physical activity behaviors.
The program offers:
- Initial one-on-one health consultation to assess current health status, fitness, measure progress, plan an appropriate exercise program
- 8 weekly group exercise and group education sessions comprising 1 hour of supervised low to moderate intensity physical activity followed by a 1 hour healthy lifestyle education class.
- Completion one-on-one consultation on completion of the 8 weeks of classes.
Who can participate?
The program is specifically designed as a prevention program for people who are at risk of developing:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Type 2 diabetes
It is also suitable for people seeking improve their lifestyle and manage:
- Weight (overweight and obesity)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease (including high blood pressure or high cholesterol)
- Metabolic condition
Can Medicare subsidise some of the costs?
- YES!. Patients with Type 2 diabetes can be referred to the diabetes management program for Type 2 diabetes group services under Medicare.
- Patients will undertake an individual assessment by an Allied Health Professional such as an Exercise Physiologist or Dietitian, and then participate in 8 group exercise and education classes.
- To be eligible, patients must have Type 2 Diabetes and a GP Management Plan. These group sessions are in addition to the 5 individual allied health services available under Medicare.
- Patients with chronic disease risk factors who don’t have diabetes may also be referred to the program.
- GPs and Practice Nurses are encouraged to speak to our friendly staff for more information.
How do I get involved?
Contact PhysioHealth Corrimal for further information or booking enquiries.